Climbing the ladder of His will: Trials and Philippians

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Trials and Philippians

About two weeks ago I underwent surgery that removed 2 teeth and a gigantic tumor/cyst that had grown in my mouth and around my bottom jaw. Yesterday I went back to the dentist to hear how the surgery had gone and whether or not the tumor was cancerous. It wasn't. But that was the good news. Evidently he was unable to completely remove the cyst so in the end of March I have to go back for more serious surgery where they will grind down my jawbone and remove 3-4 more teeth. In order to get the bone to grow back quickly they will take a portion of my hip and grind it up to assist the healing process. Fun. Through this hard time I have re-thought through my motives and purposes for my life. I come to the conclusion that a life that is only partially parallel with God's will is no life at all. We are commanded to dedicate our every moment to the glory of God. It sounds so hard and it is. But let me tell you now, I have been more satisfied and content in this time of hardship than I ever was before. If we can't live today and be completely joyful than it will never happen unless if we change something in our lives. That something is a 100% dedication to God. Listen to this amazing verse I found in Philippians:
4:6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Webster's defines the word transcend as: To pass beyond; to exceed; to surpass
That is how Paul describes the peace of God, basically unexplainable, scientifically and logically. We as humans have hard time grasping the fact that when we give up our fleshly desires for what we normally don't want, righteousness, our new desires are so much better and actually fulfilled. I have become so convicted that my life needs to be always about doing God's will and not my own. If God is for us, who can be against us?

I forget where I heard this quote but it has 'haunted' me ever since I read it
"The way we live our days is the way we live our lives."

12 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what kind of cyst or tumor you have/had? You situation sounds very similar to what happened to my (then 17 years old) son 4 1/2 years ago....right after he graduated from high school.

He had his tumor in his upper jaw. It was discovered from a panoramic x-ray taken in preparation for oral surgery. Then cyst/tumor was removed when he underwent jaw reconstruction surgery for his upper front jaw which had been damaged in a bike accident when he was eleven.

After the pathology report came back, we were told he had an ameloblastoma and he would have to have more surgery to remove everything it touched and 1 cm of healthy tissue to prevent recurrence. It was not cancerous but does have a high recurrence unless every ameloblastoma cell is removed.

Anyway, it was a tough time for him and for our family. After the second surgery to his maxilla, he went on to Wheaton College in IL and graduated a year ago after 3 1/2 years. He's in Belgium studying for his Master's Degree in philosophy.

We are Christians too - I came across your blog due to a Google News Alert for "jaw tumor". I hope your second surgery goes well and you are back as good as new soon. It sounds as if you have placed all anxiety where it belongs. God bless and heal you.

Peggy

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Keith M. said...

Thanks for the encouragement, it's good to hear that someone else went through the surgery and succesfully. I think that might be the same type of cyst that I had, wasn't the worst but wasn't the best. I think that the surgery will go well, I'm glad it's on the bottom and not the top. Thanks for stopping by and be sure to again!

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, we live in Pennsylvania too.

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Keith M. said...

I see. So you don't have a blog then?

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't have a blog - I just read them from time to time as one catches my attention!

I wrote another entry in your blog last night that disappeared - so I'll try to remember what I said and redo it here.

I will stop back to see how you are doing. If you find out that your tumor is (or was) an ameloblastoma there is a support group on Yahoo Groups for sufferers. I can give you the link if it is appropriate or you can do a search.

We were told that there is only a 1% chance that any jaw tumor is an ameloblastoma (and only 1 in 10 occurs in the upper jaw like my son's) - so it is likely that yours is something else entirely. It is just your treatment (second surgery to remove much more) sounds so similar to my son's that I wondered about it.

I hope you will continue to post about your treatment and progress with healing. I will pray for you - it is not an easy thing to be facing but know that you will get through it and be OK in the end.

God Bless.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Keith M. said...

Thanks, yeah, the thing that keeps me going is knowing that someday I'll be looking back on this as encouragement to know that God can help me through really hard times.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Emily said...

wow, i'm sorry to hear you have to go through this, but it's encouraging to know you're relying on God's strength to bring you through. I trust you'll come out of this trial an even stronger believer than you were before. I'll be praying for you, and hope your next surgery goes well!

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Emily. Through this struggle my prayer life has grown SO much, you wouldn't believe how trials do help to bring us closer to God! I guess I'm in the Refiner's Fire.

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith, sounds like you and Chris are both going through a fascinating time right now. Crazy stuff! ~Allegra, alter-ego: Christine

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Keith M. said...

Ya, that we are.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Keith,
I'm praying for you. Praise God Almighty that that cyst wasn't cancerous!

Thank you for posting that verse. It is very encouraging in many, many ways.

God bless and take care!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Keith M. said...

Thanks, Moriah, I haven't been blogging in so long...I really appreciate prayer...I have learned how much it can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home