Climbing the ladder of His will: I like it because...

Friday, February 16, 2007

I like it because...

Many of us out there have watched movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. What makes these movies likable, and awesome in our eyes? I think a lot of it comes from all of the breathtaking things, the CG effects, huge armies and gigantic battle scenes, impossible fighting feats and many other things. You know, even though they have all these elements, this isn't really a fabulously great reason to like these movies. I believe that the plot should be the reason why you should put a movie on your 'favorites' list. The reason why I think this way is because what leaves a better impression on you: A great plot or some fantastic scenes in a battle or wonderful special effects. The former is definitely the better of the two, it teaches you a life lesson, something you can apply.
Ok, so by now you are wondering why I am rambling about all of this. The reason is because our lives are patterned the same way, I am not saying those who bravely fought in WWI and WWII and multiple other wars aren't to be respected and put on our 'favorites' list. I simply am stating, a life with a plot and meaning is better than one just to gain popular admiration because you could jump off a wall with a sword swinging around in the air killing Computer Generated creatures. Our lives are to be patterned after Christ, who was the real hero, not the popular 'favorite' among many.

1 John 2:6
"Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did."

8 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Kingdom Advancer said...

I think part of the reason we like "epic" effects and battle scenes is because we have a deep embedded desire to do big things, and to be part of the big picture.

Unbelievers may not know where this desire comes from or what it's purpose is. In fact, they may not even really feel it. But,in a Christian sense, we should take that love of "epic-ness" and turn it into action for God, fighting the "good fight."

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Keith M. said...

Oh Yeah, KA I agree with you, I was just using it as an illustration, I wasn't saying it was vain, but I see how you could have thought that. =D

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got me thinking!
Every blessing
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Austin said...

Yeah, I don't watch movies for special effects. It's just not as entertaining without an amazing plot. I have to identify with the character's motives for doing the fighting in order to care about the fighting itself.

However, you chose bad examples for making your point. Have you read the Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings? Or are you only talking about the movies? Because the plots in those books have deep spiritual implications.

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Keith M. said...

Ok, I see it from your standpoint Austin, and from it, rotten example. Yes, I should have clarified it, I meant the movies. And I was actually referring to the 'reason' why we like the movies. I agree with you in that LOTR and LWW have fabulous plots, not saying the former has spiritual implications, but we won't go there.=D

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Austin said...

Maybe it's just that too many people go see those movies for the battle scenes. After about 2 hrs of a single LOTR battle, I've already been asleep for 1 1/2. I watch that stuff for the movie, not the repetitive fighting.

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Keith M. said...

I have to admit I probably do watch those type of movies mainly for effects, battles, etc.. Probably should also watch for the plots though. Like you said.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

for LOTR, i've read the books and watched the movies (more times than i can remember now, i lost count at 10 times each like, a year ago!). and LWW, i've read the first two or three books, and seen the first movie two or three times and the second, once in theatres. obviously, i love them both.
but why? i agree with KA, because of that desire to be 'in on it all'. i can relate to so many of the characters, what they're going through (not literally, haha, but in their heads and their emotions). and that's what keeps me watching them over...and over...and over again! LOTR is one of my all time favorite movies, like you've probably guessed. the plot, the lines, the subplots...everything works so well.
but back to how that ties in with our lives. you're right, keith, we should want a life with purpose. not just to look heroic for everybody around us. but to be patterning, humbly, our lives after our true Hero.

:]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home